Last week, I had a couple of things said to me that made me think. They weren't good or bad things. Just things to think on. Since I've kept them in my head (thought they're from days away), why not dissect them more than I have already?
First of all, one of my guests and I were talking about the show "House" and how he's been compared with Sherlock Holmes. I went into how Sherlock knows how to manipulate people but isn't rude unless he needs to be (in order to find information from someone). He can tell when to use certain reactions (in order to get people's answers), and he is a great actor. My guest said, "that's kind of like you." "What do you mean?" "Well", said my guest, "I can tell when you don't agree with something, yet you're very polite about it." By this point, I was wondering if I had been mean to him or something. I asked him to clarify a bit. "I hope I'm not putting this wrong," he said. "You are a rare woman. You can let people know what you expect out of them without speaking it. In a way, you manipulate them. You don't humiliate them by bringing uncomfortable things out into the open, but let people know where you stand even though you don't say it. There are not many people like you."
Well, I went on cleaning, but kept wondering about it. I really loved his honesty, so I asked him "do you think I'm mean?" At first, his answer was this: "No. I think that you let people know where you stand and what you expect and you wouldn't have gotten this job if you couldn't do that. This job needs it." "Alright," I said. "Thank you!" As I continued cleaning, he called out for me. "I've changed my answer," he said. "You are mean. You know, like Mean, Median, and Mode." "Is mean the one where 'all things are considered'?" I asked. "Exactly. So now if you ask anyone if you're 'mean', you won't know what they mean!" He smiled at me and I thanked him again.
I know, for a fact, that I can be very mean. I, at times, don't want to be secretive about it. I want to come right out and say what I mean. During those times, I'm not polite... I'm just rude. I don't do that to guests though. There may be a few exceptions, but I don't really do it to friends. Those I'm mean to are those closest to me (usually my family). They have seen me at my worst, but also my best. When I first started listening to this man, I was scared. True he's a stranger, but he has very good insight. I don't realize how much I can be read. I don't have much to keep secret, but I don't want to hurt people's feelings. I don't want to shame them. As a manager here, I've changed a lot! I've had to let grumpy people know that we don't have rooms available; had to tell nice people they can't stay anymore (because of no appointments or person in a medical facility); had to kick people out, back my decisions up, and deal with a few crazy's. Through that, I can just give people what they want all the time. I have rules I must follow, and through all of this, have had to become someone who shrugs off people fussing or being upset at me. (*Side note: I do take into consideration criticisms and ways to make this place better, but some people just like to complain.)
I'm glad to know that people can figure out what I'm wanting (even if I don't say it).
The second conversation went something like this: I had asked Shelby and Melanie days earlier if high people really get munchy/hungry. This day, I had quoted a line from "When Harry Met Sally" where Harry says the name "Sheldon" makes good sex impossible. We just talk about random things when we have breaks through the day. Shelby looked at me and asked, "are you a virgin?" She asked this pretty loud because I noticed most of the people in the room got even quieter. "Yes." "You didn't go to a public high school though." "Yep, I did." "Did you have any friends?" Laughter broke out and I answered "yeah, a bunch." She went on to say that I'm a nice person and didn't mean I look like I don't have friends. She was very confused and stumped on the fact that I'm very innocent and pure. "Not many people are like you," she said.
In both of these conversations, one thing stood out. Me. I'm different. I'm not a typical person you'd meet. I'm rare. I'm innocent. I'm "mean". I'm pure. There is apart of everyone that wants to fit in somewhere in this life. I have that want. However, I also have my life in Jesus and know He stood out as "different" to people. I want to stand out that way too. It was a good reminder that I'm not part of this world, but part of His.

and I love that about you! You are different...and you are 100% sure about yourself! You dont let people bring you down! I miss our cleaning days together! You are a woman of God and dont fret about that!
ReplyDeleteI love you so much Tricia! I'm not quite always 100% sure of myself and sometimes do get down, but I know who I am in Christ and He never disappoints! He lifts me up!
ReplyDelete