I'd only practiced doing IM and Sub Q injections on plastic arms. This was real life though. As I was ready to finally take my turn, the room fell silent. "No pressure, Michelle", remarked Brittany trying to easy the silence. I realized that this would be how I would do it in a village setting. Eyes on me. Watching to see what I was doing and if the person receiving the injection would cringe. I calmed myself, told my patient "big stick in one, two...", and stuck it in. (Side note: Delaina stuck me too, so its not like I was being cruel or anything.)
We were just giving normal saline so it wasn't a big deal, but it was exhilarating! It reminded me of doing IVs and I started checking out veins. (Once you look for "good veins" and do an IV, its hard not to check out people's veins.) We did different shots (IM, Sub Q, and ID) all on each other.
Later that night, after doing homework with Megan, we began to walk back to my car. We were reminded that the gates locked at night and so we started to pray while walking. "Please help the gate to be open or someone to come by that can help us get in." As we walked up to the gate, everything looked pretty sealed. I wanted to at least try, so I walked up, turned the knob, and it opened! We got in my car, drove up to the gate, and it opened too! God knew we were coming and opened a gate for us.
Sometimes it feels like we're on the outside looking in. We don't know if everything will turn out alright. We can't see past skin sometimes. We could give us and just never try from the fear of hurting someone or doing something wrong. We could just walk away and believe that the way is closed or that we're locked out. Eyes are on us. Who will you be looking to?
No comments:
Post a Comment