Friday, February 4, 2011

Kung Fu

I believe I started going to Kung Fu on November 19th of 2010 and I'm super thankful that it was revealed to me!  Yes, I've gotten plenty of bruises and came away from it sweaty and sore.  Still, I realize that I feel more confident, fit, and have a bigger smile because of it.  I've been swapping back and forth between Aikido and Kung Fu.  Aikido means "harmony" and uses the other person's aggression against them.  In Kung Fu, I am a crane and have worked on punching, kicking, body position, and other such things.

I'm not really working for belts, but rather the knowledge that comes with them.  I want to be able to know a bit more of what to do if I fall into a compromising position that I have to fight my way out of.  I am not one who wants (or goes looking) to fight or hurt anyone.  Tonight, though, I found that I am able to bite back if I'm hurt.

One of the guys I was learning from started showing me some moves.  He said that "if they're not hurting, you're not doing it right".  I was hurting when I was learning these moves, but it also helped me to be a bit more aggressive with him.  When I am out on a street and some guy comes looking to hurt me, do you really think he'll hold back?  If he doesn't, I don't need to either.  I'm not talking about killing or anything.  I would NEVER.  I just need that chance to hurt him enough that he doesn't want to try it again... or at least that chance for me to get away.

I love learning these things (even though I'm one of the only girls there who really participates).  More girls need to get involved in this kind of self defense... just in case.  If nothing, its been a good opportunity to bond a bit with my brothers!

Side note:  I got one of my EMT buddies to come with me Monday.  It was good to have her there and I think she liked it too!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment