Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Experienced and the Naive

I found myself having lunch with a friend and (though many people were around) the conversation went towards a touchy subject for some:  Virginity or lack there of.  We talked about the amazing fact that someone of my age can still be a virgin and I wondered why it is that way.  Why are we so willing to give ourselves away?  Emotions?  Acceptance?  Experience?  What?

Many aren't afraid to tell of their "experiences" and from their words, there is no shame in being had by someone who's not going to stick it out through life with you.  I know people don't want to make waves, and personally, I don't want my friends that have had these experiences to think I believe myself to be better than them.  I'm not.  God has met me where I've fallen and helped me back up.  He's good like that.  I just want to know how we (as a culture) could do things differently; to make things less tempting or more serious.  Ideas?

1 comment:

  1. well...you've hit upon a big subject...or deep subject? I think that if we focus on the surface issue...(ok I'm going to be pg-13, just fyi :D ok maybe pg)aka just preaching and saying that a guy shouldn't look lustfully at a girl and shouldn't think about them...(vague sorry) basically saying girls are attractive and guys should not sleep with them until they are married....instead of saying what you save for marriage is so wonderful that you want to share it with that special person, but don't make it some evil thing...that's what i see....guys are told a bunch of stuff to NOT think about...I mean why not tell guys that every girl is someone's daughter, and you could get a dad real angry if you hurt his daughter...but more than that I believe that these people who look for "experiences" outside of marriage are looking for someone to define them....to complete them, to hear someone tell them that they love them... but often it's just left at a physical thing...but it's so much more, it requires the commitment and the respect and the proper timing....wow, I don't know if I said that right, but those are my thoughts....hope you are well friend!

    ReplyDelete