Monday, November 1, 2010

Costume Alter-Egos!

I've always loved Halloween!  Ever since I was little, I would try to be creative about my costumes (especially when it came to cost).  My costumes have never won a prize and some are usually ambiguous to anyone but me.  Still, I love dressing up!

This year (for handing out candy both at Trunk-or-Treat and Chris') I was a monster.  I had a cute monster hat, a blood donating shirt turned into a "bone" donor shirt ("Feed your Monster"), my cassowary bone, snake vertebrae necklace, black nail polish, and ripped jeans.  I think (to an extent) we all like pretending we are something else.  Why else would so many people want to be actors (other than the fame and fortune).  ;)

I was subbing on Friday and heard another teacher talking to his students.  He said "I love seeing what other people dress up to be because then I get to see their alter egos."  I laughed for a bit and then started thinking about it.  We usually dress up in something we have an interest in.  Little girls like dressing up as princesses.  Little boys as super heros.  Older boys as something scary or funny.  Older girls as flirty or creepy.  We all get to dress up as anything we want, yet we usually choose an external way to show characteristics that draw attention to who we really are or secretly want to be (though it might be in a more melodramatic way).

I was a cute monster.  Not scary, but laid back.  Cost-efficient and had creepy accessories.  What can I say?  I like to be cute (not ugly) and not scare people too bad; at the same time, I like saving money and have a darker side at times.  I love wearing more comfy clothes and want other people to feel comfortable around me.

What did you dress up as?  Does it "fit" you?

3 comments:

  1. I printed out the word "snap" and taped it to a t-shirt. I was a ginger snap...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo cool! Did people guess?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few people had to ask, but I feel like most people didn't even notice I had a word on my shirt... O well

    ReplyDelete