Thursday, March 6, 2014

Meeting a World Traveler

I knew he was coming, but I didn’t expect to meet him so soon! I had just received a letter and there he was; Flat Stanley. He’d come all the way from Telford, Tennessee in the USA to Madang in Papua New Guinea. One of our mutual friends arranged it. A second grader named Connor that I know from my church.

Connor’s class is learning about how long it takes for mail to reach different parts of the world (as well as where other places are, what kind of things are there, and so on). Its such a good learning experience and a wonderful way to get others around the world involved. (I believe there is a book about Flat Stanley. For more information, look the book up.)

I cannot express how much fun and joy I receive from these kinds of things. One of my friends from college sent me letters from her class. They asked questions about what I do here as well as questions in general. I wrote back to all of them. Yay for pen pals! Another one of my friends wanted to have her class do something like this, but ran out of time. Some classes from my church back home have sent me letters and such from the kids. I love the letters and cards from others too. There’s just something about having a written conversation or participation that gets me excited. It does take time, but when others ask it of me (and let’s face it, when kids ask it), how can I say “no”?

So I guess what I’m saying is “thank you” to the kids, families, friends, and so on who have sent me something. Thank you to those who have prayed and supported me living here. Thank you for encouragements and love reaching around the world. And I send “thank you’s” to those who ask me to be involved in what you’re doing as well.

Often times, I say that life is messy and it is. But life is also lives being woven together. Without others, life probably wouldn’t be as fun or intricate. Its so good to amalgamate in a colorful conglomeration forming a musical melody of sorts! (Yes, get the dictionary out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment