Sixteen months. Just saying “a year” doesn’t quite cut it at this point. Its been more than that. There are friends that have commented that 16 can’t be correct; it feels longer than that. I suppose when you miss someone who is far away, it can seem prolonged. I’m technically out of sight (except for newsletters and other communication methods) yet not completely out of mind.
Sixteen months in Papua New Guinea. That’s about the span of time that I spent managing and living at a guest house after college. But my time here isn’t over quite yet. I have about 5 months (4 and 1/2 more specifically) until I get back to the States. While I’m there, I’ll reevaluate what’s next (if I’m to come back here or do something else). My mind has already started the evaluation process, but my decision will be made in the States (unless God gives me a clear path before that time).
The office seems to be less occupied than usual. Many people are either on furlough, going on furlough, on vacation, going finish, or out on different locations (in a village or up at Uka). Its odd. I suppose this is another reminder of our lives in transition. We might not be the ones leaving, but others do. I really appreciate the people that work here. I hope that my leaving doesn’t dampen anyone’s spirits.
Holidays are coming up, and its still often sunny and hot here. There’s no snow and Thanksgiving (on the last Thursday of the month of November) isn’t an official holiday here in PNG. Don’t worry. Its the one USA holiday that we get time off for. (We get holidays like Christmas too, but that’s a PNG holiday as well.)
One thing about being in a foreign country: underlying traits and motives can be seen in oneself easier than in one’s own culture. I see some things I need to change about myself, some things that I need to enhance as well as refine, and some things that are simply me. It can be difficult realizing certain ways or traits aren’t best and should be changed. The other side of it is rewarding for the chance to improve and strengthen oneself to live a more enriched life (for God’s glory).
There are times I want to go back to the States. Times I want to live in my own dreams, and then my eyes open, focus, and I wake up. I look around and notice that I have a purpose here. I have things to finish, people to love on, and blessings to thank God for. There will be a time to go back Stateside, but for now, I’ll live and serve where I am.
Where are you?
Sixteen months in Papua New Guinea. That’s about the span of time that I spent managing and living at a guest house after college. But my time here isn’t over quite yet. I have about 5 months (4 and 1/2 more specifically) until I get back to the States. While I’m there, I’ll reevaluate what’s next (if I’m to come back here or do something else). My mind has already started the evaluation process, but my decision will be made in the States (unless God gives me a clear path before that time).
The office seems to be less occupied than usual. Many people are either on furlough, going on furlough, on vacation, going finish, or out on different locations (in a village or up at Uka). Its odd. I suppose this is another reminder of our lives in transition. We might not be the ones leaving, but others do. I really appreciate the people that work here. I hope that my leaving doesn’t dampen anyone’s spirits.
Holidays are coming up, and its still often sunny and hot here. There’s no snow and Thanksgiving (on the last Thursday of the month of November) isn’t an official holiday here in PNG. Don’t worry. Its the one USA holiday that we get time off for. (We get holidays like Christmas too, but that’s a PNG holiday as well.)
One thing about being in a foreign country: underlying traits and motives can be seen in oneself easier than in one’s own culture. I see some things I need to change about myself, some things that I need to enhance as well as refine, and some things that are simply me. It can be difficult realizing certain ways or traits aren’t best and should be changed. The other side of it is rewarding for the chance to improve and strengthen oneself to live a more enriched life (for God’s glory).
There are times I want to go back to the States. Times I want to live in my own dreams, and then my eyes open, focus, and I wake up. I look around and notice that I have a purpose here. I have things to finish, people to love on, and blessings to thank God for. There will be a time to go back Stateside, but for now, I’ll live and serve where I am.
Where are you?
No comments:
Post a Comment