Thursday, December 13, 2012

What are We and Who are We Fighting

In the movie “Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows”, the antagonist, Professor Moriarty states that there is a subconscious hunger for conflict.  Thoughts might come to mind of fist fights, war, or perhaps even the stress felt between two people that don’t agree. One out of the three can’t really be seen, but it doesn’t mean it isn’t there.  The other two, can be viewed more easily with our eyes. 

I was reading a small devotional page the other day and didn’t really know how to take it.  It talked about how much suffering this one guy went through because of converting from Islam to Christianity.  It said that we (most likely), in America wouldn’t go through as much persecution as he did.  Instead, we may feel, at most, like a social outcast in some settings.  However, the part I didn’t really like was this, and I quote:  “Do we wear our cross where someone can see it?  Do we pray where someone might see or hear us?  Do we refuse to laugh at inappropriate jokes?”

It was almost like these things signify if one is a Christian or not.  These things are good, but they’re not the core of what a “Christian” is.  Once again, they were onto something and then missed the target, as so many do.  As I seem to do often, as well. 

Ephesians 6:12 says, “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but...against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”  Many fights that we encounter will (most likely) not be seen out in the open, but will be in our very minds.  Just how, in the movie, Sherlock fought with Moriarty first and foremost in his mind.  The enemy attacks as many ways as he can.  He’s not an idiot and will use thoughts if he can.

So what then?  Is it impossible to tell who’s a Christian if so much goes on inwardly?  Surely not.  Fruit must be produced, and then inspected.  Honestly, I’m not great at telling what tree bears whatever fruit, but I can kinda tell when a fruit starts to go bad.  For other fruits, as a non-expert fruit-checker, I taste and then realize its not a good thing to eat.  Eventually, the good and bad kinds of fruit should reveal themselves. 

There are times that I’ve felt like I must “put on a show” so people don’t see the conflict happening inside me.  (“Show” good fruit, even if I’m going a little sour or rotten inside.)  I guess there’s this pattern that we (Christians) want to convey that we’re “good enough” Christians who don’t have issues or struggles (like a “Who’s-the-best-Christian” contest).  Maybe we use the excuse of other people who look at Christians and only see messed up people; and, therefore, figure that our God isn’t big enough to help us with our messes.  Whatever the case, we lie to ourselves and to others when we mask everything up. 

One night, there was a storm.  I heard a little kid crying, and then, I started hearing “Old MacDonald had a farm, ei ay ei ay o...”  It sounded like the dad was leading it and then the whole family started singing.  The kid calmed down and wasn’t scared anymore.  This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this here in PNG (and not the only family to sing at crazy times to quite a kid either).  It made me think of family (and I missed mine a bit that night).

When I think of “family”, I think of bonds stronger than normal relationships.  Bonds through our very blood and genes.  Each of my family members are very different and distinct (though we all look similar and have the same background).  We don’t always agree, but we’re family.  We love each other, even through annoying, frustrating times. 

What I’m trying to say is that we, as Christians, have been adopted... or rather had a blood transfusion from Jesus that’s made our relationship run deep.  We’re family and though we may not agree entirely and sometimes have conflict, we must remember who we’re really fighting against.  Its not each other, but is the sinful nature that threatens our hope that we have found (in Christ Jesus).  Often these conflicts can start small, and as a very brilliant friend once told me, “chaffing is the enemy”. 

On a ship, you realize when the mast falls over.  Its kind of a big deal and everyone can see it.  However, chaffing (the rubbing and chiseling and breaking down little by little) no one seems to notice or deal with it until its too late and you’re sinking. 

“Let us,therefore, love one another” and be united in order to stand against the real enemy and bear much (good) fruit for our Creator, Lord, and Father.  Let us let go of what doesn’t matter, and deal with what may become an issue (before it does).  Let us be a “work-in-progress” as God continues to shape us into His beautiful creation, and fight the temptation to hide what’s going on inside.  (*And a small note to some who might need it, let us also not constantly spill forth our issues in order to get attention, but deal with them and move on.)

Sum up:  Unity, Forgiveness, Love, and also Praise to God in and through our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment