I awoke around 4am, shushing the dogs. Things felt odd. The dogs weren’t barking where they usually barked, footsteps had sounded closer than usual, and a neighbor’s pounding on the wall (to hush the dogs) was louder and on the wrong side of my flat. I decided to get up and look out of my window. I saw three guys at my front living room door who were trying to break in. I said, “Ah! Yupela mekim wanem samting?! Yu no ken stap! Yu go!” (In other words, “What are you doing? Get out of here!”) I hit the alarm button behind my bed, grabbed my cell phone, and headed for the bathroom. As the alarm sounded, I heard the door break down and hurrying feet.
Bethaney, the neighbor who, in fact, hadn’t been pounding on the wall, called me and I told her what had happened. She suggested turning on all the lights I could. I ventured out of the bathroom (since I was pretty sure that they’d ran away because of the alarm, plus I didn’t hear any movement before opening each door). As I turned on every light in the house, I saw that the inside door was lying on the floor of the living room and that my purse and backpack had been taken. (Praise God that they didn’t see my computer under a pillow on the table.)
Bethaney called her dad, William, as I kept the alarm sounding, grabbed my bush knife, and barricaded myself once again in the bathroom (should the rascals decide to come back). I stayed in there until Bethaney called me back and William arrived. I turned the alarm off, and Bethaney and William stayed with me. Bethaney called Emily. Emily came with two police and I told them what I knew. The song I kept thinking of was “...everybody was kung fu fighting...” and I was also glad that the dogs were alright.
I went to the office to skype with my family so I could update them on the situation more personally. It was encouraging to see and talk to them. Mom urged me to allow myself time to process what happened and release the stress from the experience. It was good to hear that it was okay to “break down” (cry) about it. I hate crying (especially in the presence of others) so I hadn’t yet. I knew the logic of processing things and crying, but it was still good to hear. It was great to get an update from my Dad and from my Sister and her fiance too.
While I was at the office, I got more hugs and a package from one of my friends! I was extremely tired so I headed home. Tyler and the workmen were hard at work on the doors, so I went into my room, looked into my package, and tried to rest a bit. I later went into my bathroom and had a bit of a cry which helped as a release.
I praise God for my safety, for the sweet people willing to help me, for my computer not being seen, and good rest. So many things could’ve happened differently, but they didn’t. God was still watching out for me and will continue to do so. I write all of this to praise Him, to inform others that I am alright, and to encourage others to take precautions to prevent or deal with things like this.
Months ago, I read a book entitled, “You Hit Like a Girl”. Its slightly dated, but it has value. I had thought through possible situations and decided what the best course of action would be in each case. Of course, no one can plan for every possible scenario, but I had practiced (in my mind) what I would say, what I would do, what I would grab, and where the most secure location was. If possible, do this in your home, workplace, and be vigilant wherever you go. When stressful times come, its good to just do what has been thought through rather than have to think about it in the moment.
If you have any questions, let me know and I shall do my best to answer them. Through all of this, it heightens my awareness of the many blessings God sends my way each day as well as renews my passion for the work I’m doing here. I’m always happy to send annoyances (at the least) in the enemy’s direction. I must be doing something right... right?! ;)
I am so thankful you are okay! Since you were a "fighter" in our survival evaluation I guess it should be no surprise that you acted calmly in a scary situation he he :)
ReplyDeleteThanks! I couldn't even remember what kind of "survivor" I was... We were the same, right? Do you remember what Hayley and Mary Beth were?
ReplyDelete