Sunday, October 23, 2011

People at Starbucks

I've realized that I come to Starbucks a lot recently.  I do love their drinks and the ambiance of the coffee shop, but the main reason I come here is to get things done.  I try so hard at the house, but either I'll get distracted by something else I need to do or my little cousins will come in and want to play.  I just can't really focus.  Plus, I know almost all of my songs and end up singing along whereas (at Starbucks) I don't know all the songs and they usually play a good set of songs to listen to as well as focus in on other things.

Each time I've come here, I always notice the people.  One of the first times I came to study, I met Alex (who works here).  He and I talked about linguistics and missions and overseas ... and he got me a really big glass of water.  The next time I came, he introduced me to Kevin and Nick (who also work here).  I've met one of my friends from class to study; started up a conversation with a French guy named Jon Pierre; been in between a table of Americans (speaking English) and a table of Asians (speaking, I believe, Mandarin Chinese); been asked to watch a couple's things; and been told by a guy with a cool hat and skateboard that he liked my toe ring (but didn't want to say anything at first just in case I though he was creepy). 

There are so many different, unique, interesting people here... not just at Starbucks, but in this world.  There are too many times that the Christian community doesn't realize this and stays in a bubble of somewhat "clones".  God has made each of us unique. 

I had had issues (and am still dealing with some) with who I am and who I'm becoming.  I've heard countless times about wanting to become more like Jesus.  For some reason, my mind began wondering if Jesus ever would play a guitar or laughs at random thoughts that reminds him of past experiences.  For some reason, I thought that I would end up becoming a cookie-cutter clone that is like everyone else.  I'm trying to remember everyday that the underlying meaning of the character of Jesus is what is beautiful in becoming.  It doesn't mean I give up being who God made me and is shaping me into.  Its a meshing of souls (letting him take over and having him sculpt what he already put there that's special to just me).

3 comments:

  1. Michelle!
    thanks for reading my post, and also for the constructive criticism. What kind of subject matter would you like to read about in the future? I think it's cool you're meeting those kind of people at starbucks, and also I think that by being aware of the Christian bubble that you are not a clone in it...make sense? hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex! I hope you can get this. I can't remember if these things send others notifications that they have a reply. Anyway, I think its always cool when I read about little things someone notices throughout the day (whether it could mean something bigger or is just what it is). Does that make sense? Thanks for commenting and reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete