Friday, August 29, 2014

Learning from Boys

Its obvious: men and women think differently. Why wouldn't we? We're made different. As my brothers continue to grow up, I find that they are indeed capable of a level of communication and maturity. It has been fascinating to see them develop into teenagers and the process has provided the opportunity to know them a bit deeper. Though I don't claim to always get along, there is something that they (along with other sources) have shown me; something in which I want to have.

It is said that girls can hold grudges forever, and I admit that rifts in relationships have the biggest chance of staying with us. It is this that I want to let go of. I'm not going to say that all guys react this way to every situation, but I have seen evidence of when they just letting things go.

When guys argue or fight, many times (after its done) they walk off as if nothing happened. Its like they got it out of their system and its finished. I want that and am trying to practice it. When I do, I imagine that whatever offense was said or whatever wrong was aimed is simply a single drop of water rolling off my back. The issue disappears and the world is okay again.

So what happens when the same person continues to hurt me in a way that most girls can't stand (in a relational capacity)? All the drops of water come back to mind and it seems like I'm swept away in a flood. In Matthew 18:22, it talks about forgiving "seventy times seven", or continuous forgiveness. I'm trying, but no one said forgiveness is easy. It also says (in Matt. 6:15), "but if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." I know I'm no better than anyone else, and yet Jesus still took away my sins. And not only mine, but whoever is also being a jerk to me.

Let it roll off my back and be gone forever. Let me learn this from boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment