When we were in Madang town (during the midway part of our trip), we got to go to the "haus sik" (or hospital) with a couple missionaries. One of the things that we (as women) got to see was the maternity ward. We got to hand a few things out to new mothers and soon-to-be mothers. There were even a few twins and a mother that had triplets!
At one point, we got to see the ICU area for premature babies. There were two babies. I'd never seen such tiny infants. One could probably fit in one hand and the other wasn't much bigger. It looked like every effort made by these babies was to hold on to life. Just to breathe seemed like great exertion. I couldn't help asking God to look out for them (which I knew He already was).
I have a hard time with some things like that. If a person is living well enough, there's no turmoil within me. Even when someone dies, I find it easier to cope than when a human being (especially a child) lives with pain or hardship. Still, seeing these small babies grasping at life with all they had made me want to be more bold and live life to the full. Why should we live in fear or waste time being so negative? With so many new lives coming into the world, may we be reminded of the gifts we are given and how great our God is.
No comments:
Post a Comment